gratuitous administrative rejections?

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: gratuitous administrative rejections?

the scenario: krusty-motorsports.com is a slackware linux box (2.0.29
kernel) running exim 1.654 (i'll move it up to 1.70 one of these days.)
i'm using a bunch of the spam control features,

sender_verify = true
receiver_verify = true
sender_host_reject = ^\d{5}.com:partial-dbm;/tools/exim/domains/banned.db
sender_host_reject_recipients = ^\d{5}.com:partial-dbm;/tools/exim/domains/banned.db
sender_net_reject = /tools/exim/domains/net_reject

earlier today, i sent from my account on krusty (rwelty@???)
a bunch of majordomo subscribe commands for some mailing lists that currently
run on another system that is not under my control. majordomo automatically
sends individual welcome messages for each list. all the subscribe
request succeeded. all the welcome messages came through except for one:

> Date sent:        Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:29:14 -0400
> From:             Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@???>
> Subject:          Returned mail: User unknown
> To:               owner-bmw-digest@???

> The original message was received at Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:29:12 -0400
> from majordom@localhost
>
>    ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
> rwelty@???  (unrecoverable error)

> ... while talking to krusty1.krusty-motorsports.com.:
> <<< 550 rejected: administrative prohibition
> 550 rwelty@???... User unknown

i removed the krusty-motorsports address and resubscribed it, and on the
second try the welcome message came through.

i'm very puzzled by this behavior; i can't see why exim rejected just
the one out of a set of nearly identical welcome messages to the same
address.

richard