Re: Reverse IP lookups

Author: John Henders
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Reverse IP lookups
On Sat, Sep 13/97, "Greg A. Woods" <woods@???> wrote:

> However what should we do when the robustness principle gets encoded
> into the specifications in such a way that it results in an apparent
> contradiction of goals (eg. the SMTP greeting name verification fiasco
> where the sender "MUST" send the correct name but the receiver "MUST"
> ignore an obviously incorrect name and accept the connection anyway)?

I would agree in cases like this that the best thing to do is make it
configurable as a site policy. As Netscape has shown, the only way to
get commercial developers to to pay attention to the RFC's is to make
their products not work. Witness the modifications to INN in the 1.5.X
releases specifically to combat Netscape's opening huge numbers of nntp
sessions for one reader. This actually caused them to rethink that
"feature".

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.