Setting outgoing HELO.

Author: Rob Browning
To: exim-users
Subject: Setting outgoing HELO.

I wanted to be able to set the host and domain used in outgoing
HELOs. I saw primary_hostname, and that will get the host part right,
but what about the domain?

The reason I want this is that my machine (a laptop) has a real net
address in the lab (nevermore.csres.utexas.edu), but I often use it
from home where I'm dialing up (yes, I know, dynamic-ip's are evil).

The setup (using exim) I have now works fine, but I fear that in the
future it may not, as people become more restricitve about reverse
HELO lookups. That's because I don't change my FQDN when I'm
connected from home. The reasons I don't are because changing my
hostname to slip-x-y.ots.utexas.edu every time I connect is *really*
ugly, because it'll break things like lprng and other daemons that
don't want the FQDN to change underneath them, and because I'm using a
masqueraded connection through another machine on a local subnet when
I'm at home, so there's not really a unique FQDN anyway.

I figured if I could just get exim to use HELO slip-x-y.ots.utexas.edu
when appropriate even though the hostname and domain are still
nevermore.csres.utexas.edu, that would solve the problem. If there's
a better solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

And yes, I do plan to rewrite my headers to reflect the address of
another machine that I maintain that's always on the net so that
bounces will always have somewhere reasonable to go. I suppose I
could give nevermore an MX record pointing there instead, but that may
not be possible I don't have control over DNS (admin issues here).

Thanks
--
Rob