Re: Reverse IP lookups

Author: Sean Witham
To: George Bonser
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users, T. William Wells
Subject: Re: Reverse IP lookups

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> Beware of becoming so anal that you end up making your mailer unuseable by
> common user applications that might have broken HELO such as Netscape. A
> mailer is of NO value if your users can not use it, even if the software vendor
> is wrong.

This is true and is the reason for the original moto but for some of
us it has become a luxury we can not afford any more and while most
MTA accept broken MUA the MUA will remain broken. The option to reject
broken HELO strings is needed at least for remote site connections
where only an MTA as opposed to a broken MUA should be conencting
from. So if a sites users use broken MUA they will still work. However
some sites are very strict about what MUA they will support (esp.
Universtities) so they may wish to drop all conections that use broken
MUAs. Face it the options need to be their even if they only log bad
HELO strings by default.

> There is no good reason to penalize the user because the vendor made a mistake.

Unless you have a user policy on what MUAs are accaptable or the
connection is from a remote site in wich case you may want to
encourage other sites to use a proper MTA.

--Sean