Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine

Author: John Bolding
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
> From: "Dr. Rich Artym" <rartym@???>
    > Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:36:31 +0100
    >
    > > How do I, the customer, stop ALL advertisements from clogging my in box?

    > You can't.  Even those with blocking-style "solutions" recognize that
    > they can't stop any more than a fraction of advertisements using any
    > global scheme.  If something is impossible, only an idiot keeps on
    > trying.  The answer is to give the customer the reigns, because only
    > he/she is in a position to arrange for a block that suits him/her.

Using exim, We __the customer__ **have** blocked about 90% of incoming SPAM.
Idiotic or not, its nice to deal with only 10 pieces of SPAM, not 100.

(In the last few days alone, we have blocked in excess of 300 SPAMs --
we are deeply indebted to Sir Hazel for the tools that allow this major
savings of time and corporate resources. As such, this blocking action
is certainly not idiotic. IP, host, and user blocking has, sadly, become
very common in business settings and is easily worth its weight in gold).

    > Yes, as you say, giving the customer the option requires that the ISP
    > receives all incoming mail.

Not only do they have to recieve it, they have to read it to determine
if its SPAM so they can do "what the customer" requests.

Now, THAT'S scary.

Probably we should move this unalterable discussion to alt.i.dont.want.spam.

--john@???