Re: New mailer on the scene

Author: Paul D. Robertson
To: D. J. Bernstein
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: New mailer on the scene
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> > Dan Bernstein, writer of qmail, already appears to have declared war.
>
> I have done nothing of the sort. My approach has always been to point
> out what qmail can do for people, not to criticize other MTAs.

*snork* Please don't take this badly, but your jihads are the stuff of
net.legend.

> Unfortunately, Venema takes a different approach to advertising, so I've
> been forced to set up a page responding to his attacks on qmail:
>
>    http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail/venema.html

Which, as Mr. Venema has pointed out, takes his quotes out of context.
I've read both sets of pages fully, and frankly, you're whining.

Example: "even on a machine with very little memory but enough disk space
for a gigantic queue,"? s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g to make a point?

While I (obviously) like qmail, VMail looks like a good thing[tm], and
I'll be glad to have the choice of more than one secure MTA.

I'll be the first to say that you've done more for the security community in
regards to SMTP than anyone to date. You've put a great deal of time and
effort into qmail, and it shows. It's rather obvious that VMail was compared
to qmail because qmail is currently the top of the pyramid in secure MTAs.

Someone's simply pointed out where they don't agree with some of the
design choices you made and set about to write their own secure MTA.

I'm not sure why you feel this is a bad thing, or the start of a holy
war, but your responses to it seem to make it so.

Paul