Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: rich
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
[ On Thu, September 4, 1997 at 05:56:55 (+0100), Rich Artym wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
>
> Does it ever occur to you Greg that one of your customers might well
> say with exactly the same degree of conviction as yourself, "99.9% of
> self-appointed censors have no business making decisions that limit
> the freedom of others and they should not be permitted to do so." ?

Whoa there! Nobody said anything about censorship but you! Well, I did
mention before that what I've proposed is not censorship in any way.
Perhaps you disagree, but I think you'll find it hard to show that
directing one specific style of user communications through a known
channel is a good long way from any form of true censorship, esp. when
the user is still fully capable of using public key and secret
cryptograhpy to completely mask the content of his message from not only
the provider's mailer but from anyone and everyone along the wire.

Forcing people to send their mail through a properly functioning,
accountable, and verifiable mail gateway is certainly not censorship.
In fact in terms of a political stance it's probably no different than
forcing people to send only valid source addresses in their IP packets.

As for politics I firmly believe that freedoms come with equally
balanced responsibilities.

> No Greg, no such thing was ever agreed. What you say about SMTP and Exim
> is totally unfounded. I and lots of other people have been using SMTP for
> years on dialup links very successfully indeed, and the number of dialin
> SMTP users isn't small around here --- for example, Demon recently passed
> the 100,000-customer mark, and almost all of their customers use SMTP
> since Demon didn't provide POP3 mail at all until just a few months ago.
> As for Exim, I'm using it on dialup links and it works wonderfully.

Again, PLEASE listen to what I said: dial-up links with with dynamic IP
addresses is NOT the situation at Demon. Those are for all intents and
especially these purposes identical to dedicated links. The
accountability and responsibilities for what's sent over them follows
down the wire right to the customer's easily identifiable machine.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>