Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine

Author: Dom Mitchell
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: Piete Brooks, rich, exim-users
Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Come on guys! I wasn't talking about anyone who has half a clue. I'm
> talking only of dial-up IP users who have dynamic IP# assignments and
> who don't even know how to spell SMTP or VRFY, never mind know what a
> queue is!!! 99.9% of the common users have no business making direct
> SMTP connections to anyone and they should not be permitted to do so.

Hmm... We run an ISP in the UK, based entirely around SMTP.
Granted, we're probably the exception, as our customers have static
IP addresses too. However, we have plenty of customers who find
that they can do extremely useful things with exim; a number of
them, are on this list. There are a number of other people who
decide that they do not want to use our smarthost facility, so they
deliver directly using MX lookups. And quite a bit do it with
Windows software, too. I think our customers would be outraged
and would notice rather quickly if we firewalled SMTP connections
from their machines to the outside world.

Anyway, this is dragging rather far from using exim, so I'll shut
up now.

-Dom