Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: Rob Browning
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
[ On , September 3, 1997 at 18:53:08 (-0500), Rob Browning wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
>
> Oh I don't know. I've got a dial up (dynamic-ip) connection to the
> university, and I've sucessfully used sendmail, qmail, and now exim
> without any real problems. Mail queues up until I'm connected (though
> I'm usually connected), and mail is retrieved via fetchmail. Seems to
> work fine, or are you talking about something different?

Hmmm.... no that's not what I'm talking about. Fetchmail adds yet
another kink to the process. It's a kind of strange, but possibly
brilliant in a sick kind of way, hack -- the ultimate embodiment of a
gateway!

The question is how do you manage to deliver outgoing mail, and what do
you do about DNS, etc. for your routing of outgoing mail, when do you
run your queue, and what do you do about delivery failures?

I would claim that, given the software you are using, you *should* be
using a mail-hub style configuration where your "hub" is your ISP's mail
gateway machine, just like any other client mailer. In that case you
shouldn't care (at least for the purposes of mail delivery) that you are
in fact firewalled such that you can only connect to the gateway mailer.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>