Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine

Author: Nick Waterman
Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
Dr. Rich Artym said:
> In message <m0x257B-00076uC@???>, Greg A. Woods writes:
> > I've started a campaign to have all dial-up providers lock their
> > customers into only the provider's mail gateway by way of filtering all
> > port-25 connects from the dial-up ports (in conjunction of course with
> > IP anti-spoof filters).
>
> You have got to be kidding.
>
> Why not take it to its logical conclusion, and keep those dastardly
> customers from having any direct access to the Internet at all?

This is a little over the top, but to an extent, I agree with you...

I used to be "firewalled" in such a way that I couldn't access port 25
on any other machine, and I had to go via my ISP's mailhost to deliver
mail. I, however, like telnetting to other machine's smtp ports to try
things like "VRFY" from time to time, so I got them to make me an
exception to their "firewall" rules.

Admittedly I'm not on a dialup connection, and my ISP doesn't supply
people with trial accounts that can be used for spamming or anything, so
maybe I don't fit into Greg's world...

--
(Oh, sorry for any delay - they sent me on a course for most of a week,
at almost zero notice, so I've not been able to reply to mail recently)

Nick Waterman, Network Manager, Cimio Ltd.
nick@??? nick@??? G7RZQ @ GB7DEO.#32.GBR.EU
http://www.cimio.co.uk/~nick/ #include <disclaimer> Team *AMIGA*!
If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!