Re: [Q] Sending several messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Matthew Adams
CC: Exim Email List
Subject: Re: [Q] Sending several messages
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Matthew Adams wrote:

> If I have several different messages to send out for different
> destinations and say the first is taking a while to set up, all the
> others are held up until this one finishes. I'm guessing that if
> several messages/destinations have delays, then the delays add
> consecutively. Is there any way to parallel up the deliveries so as
> to reduce the connect time, and my phone bill :-) - does
> remote_max_parallel do this, although I read it as only relevant to
> the *same* message to different hosts as opposed to *different*
> messages to different hosts.

Your reading is correct. Try several "exim -qf" runs at once; i.e.
instead of typeing

exim -qf

try

exim -qf; exim -qf; exim -qf; exim -qf

or write a cunning script to count the waiting messages and choose a
suitable number to fire up.

> One other question, is there any advantage to using queue_smtp over
> queue_remote in my situation as a dial up host?

Probably not, since presumably you can't do DNS lookups when you are not
dialled up. I'm afraid I designed Exim for a permanent connection, so it
isn't ideal in a dial-up context.