Re: Alias file formats

Author: David Sheryn
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Alias file formats
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> > Some of my users have mailling lists files of the format
> >
> > <J.Smith@???> John Smith
> >
> > which are accessed by use of the :include: directive in an alias file.
> > Sendmail copes with this perfectly OK, but exim barfs. Do these people have to
> > convert their lists, or is there are workaround (I have tried setting
> > skip_syntax_errors to no avail) ?
>
> Sigh. That isn't a valid RFC 822 address. If they had used a valid form,
> such as
>
> John Smith <J.Smith@???>
>
> or
>
> <J.Smith@???> (John Smith)
>
> then Exim would be quite happy. Skipping syntax errors is no good
> anyway, because it will cause Exim to completely ignore the address.

Bah! - somebody hasn't read RFC822 carefully enough (including me :-/, which
is why I though that was valid). I feel a short perl script coming on.

Thanks Phil.

DHS
-- David Sheryn <D.H.Sheryn@???> Postmaster, Computing Services
-- City University, Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB
-- Phone: (+44) 171 477 8000 Direct 0171 477 8196 Fax: 0171 477 8165
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity - J.Henders