Re: Including part of the original message text with vacatio…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ring, John C
CC: Exim User's List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Including part of the original message text with vacation?
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Ring, John C wrote:

> At the moment, the vacation statement in the .forward file is:
>
> vacation once $original_local_part
>              log $original_local_part.log
>              subject "Mailbox $original_local_part does not exist.
> Original subject: $header_subject"

> Am I overlooking the obvious for doing what I want, or does anyone have
> a suggestion?

Did you get an answer to this? Can you not just add

text = "the message was: $message_body"

to get it to add some of the text? (Or is my brain still on holiday...?)

What we do in Cambridge is something different. We send messages for
cancelled users to this transport:

cancelleduser_pipe:
  driver = pipe;
  command = "/opt/exim/util/cancelleduser.sh",
  ignore_status,
  return_output,
  user = nobody

where the script contains:

#! /bin/sh
cat <<End
Your mail to $LOCAL_PART@$DOMAIN was not delivered because that user no
longer has an account on this system.
End

The setting of return_output causes a delivery error to be generated in
order to return the output, and so the headers and content of the
original message get sent back in the normal way.