Re: UUCP & Exim

Author: Stuart Lynne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: UUCP & Exim
In article <199708052045.OAA25196@???>,
Pete Ashdown <pashdown@???> wrote:
>Stuart Lynne said once upon a time:
>
>>But a far better approach is to get people to properly configure
>>their mail system to use domain addresses. I don't think there
>>is a mail system (well ok Unix based mail system) released
>>since 1990 that didn't work (better) with FQDN's. I.e. you
>>have to work real hard to make them work with bang!paths.
>>
>>Other than that I highly encourage and support people using
>>UUCP as the transport mechanism. Running UUCP over TCP/IP
>>is a very nice solution for sites that have intermittant
>>(dialup PPP for example) connections. Far simpler to get
>>working than trying to force an SMTP connection after
>>you get connected.
>
>Do you or anyone else have a cookbook for FQDN <--> UUCP (local hosts) for
>Exim?

sample transports entry:

  uux_domain:
    driver =  pipe;
    command = "/usr/bin/uux - -r ${domain}!rmail ${local_part}@${domain}",
    pipe_as_creator,
    return_output

Sample director entry, lookup domain in file:

    # Sample for matching from list
    #
    uucp_forward:
      driver = domainlist,
      transport = uux_domain;
      route_file = "/etc/exim/uucp.lst",
      modemask = 002,
      search_type = lsearch,

The next director setup, automatically assume anything pointing to this
machine is uucp unless it's explicitly something else. We use this on a
gateway machine. Simplifies life a lot. No explicit configuration other than
DNS.

Point your MX record at this host and it would queue up mail for
your.( Of course you won't be able to pick it up until you email me
for a UUCP password :-) )

And if you then point your MX somewhere else this machine will stop
queuing mail for you and forward it to your MX host (assuming that
somehow some mail for you ended up on it).

    # This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP using a DNS lookup with
    # default options.
    #
    # The self option tells exim to continue looking at additional
    # routers if the MX for a domain points at the local host.
    #
    lookuphost:
      driver = lookuphost,
      self = fail_soft,
      transport = smtp;

    #
    # by default, anything that is a local MX will get matched here
    # This must be set to something reasonable.
    #
    # Currently this assume that all domains that are not explicitly
    # handled elsewhere are uucp hosts
    #
    self:
      driver = lookuphost,
      self = send,
      transport = uux_domain;

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@???>      604-933-1000      <http://www.poste.com>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68