Re: Exim buffer overruns [was Re: Hoo boy...]

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Lee McLoughlin, Pete Ashdown, Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: Exim buffer overruns [was Re: Hoo boy...]
On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> We really need some volunteers to start looking carefully at the code for
> this sort of problem, and probably to change some coding practices to
> ensure it doesn't easily happen again.

In the early days of Exim I did try to get people to review the code,
but I wasn't very successful. The fact that someone who is probing for
problems is going to publish them openly rather than just tell the
underworld I see as a benefit, painful though it might be at times.

Code reviewers should consider the latest source, though (1.651 or
later). Things have changed, but it is true that I haven't managed to
get the revised code into service as soon as perhaps I should have.
However, the particular problem that started this thread was not picked
up by me when I was trying to improve things a while ago. I am too
naive, I'm afraid. Not enough low cunning.