Re: Expirable addresses [was Re: Year 2000. ]

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Nick Waterman
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Expirable addresses [was Re: Year 2000. ]
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Nick Waterman wrote:

> It just strikes me as slightly odd that you're trying to build into exim
> a way for users to have multiple suffixes, when it's already there.

I must have been doing too much Perl. :-)

More seriously,

(1) It isn't necessarily a suffix; you can have it in the middle of the
local part, making it less easy to remove.

(2) There may be sites that don't want to do the suffix thing (for example,
we have some uninteresting parochial reasons for not permitting it).

(3) It is easier to tell inexperienced users "just stick -9709 on your
outgoing posts" than to teach them the intricacies of setting up
multiple .forward files and/or filter files that do the time checking.

(4) It does allow a user to put different time limits easily on each message
sent out, though I don't expect in practice that many will actually want
to do this. Simply "resetting" their address as you suggest every now
and again would probably do.

The code is written (modulo arguments about 2- and 4-digit years). It is
a fairly small addition to the smartuser director (just over 100 lines,
including blank lines and my copious commenting). Nobody has to use it.

Philip