how to remove the Sender field when sending mail ?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Bruno VUILLEMIN
A: exim-users
Cc: Bruno.Vuillemin, PostMaster
Asunto: how to remove the Sender field when sending mail ?

Dear all,

I am evaluating exim in order to
replace sendmail on standalone personnal stations
(sendmail follows the MX records and we don't want to do that
inside our domain).

In this context I don't know :
"How to remove the Sender field when sending a message"

When using smail : remove_header=Sender
(smtp transport in the transport file)

-------------------------------------
Here are more details (rather long, to validate the request) :

I'd like to remove the Sender field, because it represents
user@??? (1) while the From field is rewritten into a more
generic form FirstName.LastName@??? (2)

(1) isn't reachable by mail from the outside world
because our central mail system (still not running exim ... but maybe in
the future :-) ? ) is allowed to send mail
only to a few "secure" computers. Then people get their mail
via POP3 to their stations. To send they masquerade the From
field so that it looks like user@???.
that is rewritten by the central mail server into (2)

The problem is that RFC-822 states :
        The "Sender" field mailbox should be sent  notices  of
        any  problems in transport or delivery of the original
        messages.  If there is no  "Sender"  field,  then  the
        "From" field mailbox should be used.

If the Sender is not reachable, this is a real problem, isn't it ?
---
Later I could setup exim so that Sender = From (and still exists)
but in that case RFC-822 states :

     4.4.2.  SENDER / RESENT-SENDER

        This field contains the authenticated identity  of  the  AGENT
        (person,  system  or  process)  that sends the message.  It is
        intended for use when the sender is not the author of the mes-
        sage,  or  to  indicate  who among a group of authors actually
        sent the message.  If the contents of the "Sender" field would
        be  completely  redundant  with  the  "From"  field,  then the
        "Sender" field need not be present and its use is  discouraged
        (though  still legal).

Thank you for any hint / comment.

Bruno.Vuillemin@???, Universite de Fribourg, Suisse/Schweiz/Switzerland.
{post/news/ftp/web/cache/unix}master@???