Canned configs for hub/client?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Attwood
A: exim-users
Cc: john
Asunto: Canned configs for hub/client?
Hi,

Apologies if this is a FAQ but I'm new to this list. I'm investigating
whether we can switch to exim for our local mail domain, which consists
of a central hub and 4 clients, all Suns, currently running a mixture
of SunOS 4.1.3 and Solaris 2.5.1, but soon to be all Solaris 2.5.1. I'm
wondering if there are canned config files for exim similar to the
sendmail main.cf and subsidiary.cf files in /etc/mail supplied as part
of the standard Solaris 2.5.1 installation. At the moment we are running
NIS, but this will change to NIS+ once everything is upgraded to
Solaris 2.5.1.

Basically we want the clients to forward everything to the hub and for the
hub to do local deliveries and forward everything else to the main
University mailserver for onward delivery. User mailboxes will be in a
directory on the hub and NFS mounted by the clients. Outgoing mail must
appear to come from a.user@???, no matter whether it
originated on the hub or one of the clients, and "ourdomain" is
something set up with MX records and not the hostname of the hub (the
MX records point to the main University mailserver, which then forwards
to our local hub). For historical reasons there are 4 other obsolete
domains for which we must also accept incoming mail.

I can see bits of what I need (mailhub suggestion for configuring the
domainlist router, the chapter on address rewriting) in the main docs,
but I'm hoping that this is a standard enough setup that some kind
person will be able to point me towards boiler-plate config files for
hub and clients which can be customised for our local needs. Otherwise
I don't see how I can ever test anything thoroughly enough before it
goes live, as we don't have any spare machines to use as sandpits and
the scientists here expect the mailsystem to behave reasonably and not
lose their mail. We have perhaps a week or 10 days this summer (during
which the upgrades to Solaris and NIS+ also have to be performed) to
switch over completely to exim.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

John.
--
John Attwood,  Computing Officer,      |  Voice +171 387 7050 X5028
MRC Human Biochemical Genetics Unit,   |  Fax   +171 387 3496