Re: Fatal Linux Compile Bug - smtp_in.c

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Allen Gwinn
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Fatal Linux Compile Bug - smtp_in.c

allen@??? said:
} Does this mean that Berkeley DB should not be used at present?

I use Berkeley DB extensively in native mode (compile using USE_DB) and
have had no problems - this is with db version 1.85. I have heard that a
couple of people have had problems but have no details as to whether they
are using it in native or emulation mode, versions etc.

db v2.x is a quite different beast, but *should* compile and work OK with
exim (maybe with a slight change for include files or libraries).  It is
likely to be *less* efficient when used as a drop in replacement for
db/dbm/ndbm, basically because it makes a different set of assumptions.
This means that an open/close operation is expensive (or more so than
previously), but the other operations should be be faster.  The problem is
that exim uses a hit and run approach to db files - the operations done
each time are
    open
    lock
    dbopen
    read/write (normally a single operation)
    dbclose/flush
    close (effective unlock)

I'd not suggest using exim with db v2.x unless you know what you are
doing, or until someone works out the best way of doing this.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]