Re: Spool/Log file questions

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Joe Metzger
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Spool/Log file questions
On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Joe Metzger wrote:

> How do I determine who has not received a message that is still in the
> queue?

Running exim -bp gives a list of all queued messages and their
recipients. Those that have already been delivered have "D" next to
them.

Running eximon displays only the list of undelivered addresses in the
bottom part of the window.

> It appears to be slightly more than just looking at the queue file based
> on the following message that exim sent me:
> A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to all its recipients
> after more than 24 hours on the queue on mail1.es.net.
>
> The message identifier is:     0wEeCM-0000u6-00
> The date of the message is:    Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:56:44 -0500
> The subject of the message is: Test, please ignore

> The addresses to which the message has not yet been delivered are:
>
> jeff@???
> pl0143@???
> remote-conf@???

Are you saying that the information in that message (3 addresses to go)
is incorrect?

> The 0wEeCM-0000u6-00 queue file contains:

The format of these queue files is described in chapter 45 of the
manual.

> YY jfwhite@???
> YY cabo@???
> YY ashfaq@???
>
> (About 1,200 addresses deleted)

Those are all the addresses to which the message has already been
delivered.

Ah. Wait. I think I see what you are getting at. The original message
has a single address - the address of a mailing list, so the -bp and
eximon displays are going to show just that. There is a logical problem
here. Exim does complete routing every time it tries to deliver.
Therefore, if you change the mailing list while the message is on the
queue, the next time it tries to deliver, it will pick up the new
mailing list. Consequently, it can't easily tell you what addresses are
left without doing the complete routing job, which is of course what it
has done when it sent you the "24 hour" message.

Eximon does a bit better than exim -bp here. It notices deferral
messages on the log and adds those addresses to its display, so you get
a bit more information as to what is going on.

You could write a program that reads the spool, extracts the list of
those addresses already delivered to, and compares it with your original
mailing list, I suppose.

Philip