Re: limiting mailbox size

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tom Samplonius
A: T. William Wells
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: limiting mailbox size

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, T. William Wells wrote:

> What I want to do is this:
>
> If a mail message is to be delivered to a file and the file size
> plus the message size is over a configurable limit, defer
> delivery. If it's deferred for too long, return it to the sender
> with an appropriate message.
>
> Why do we need this? Well, when a user's mailbox gets to 7M or
> so, POP3 clients start timing out and we start getting support
> calls. :-) The idea is leave the messages in the mail queue until
> the user collects his GIFs or whatever and then deliver new mail.
> (Yeah, to make this work, individual mail messages must be
> smaller than the limit....I was thinking 3M mail messages and 5M
> mailbox size.)
>
> Any easy way to do this, or does it require programming?

Use Cyrus instead. Cyrus pre-indexes the mailbox. Almost no difference
in speed between opening a 2 MB as opposed to a 20MB mailbox (tested on a
slow Sparc IPC). On a resonable system, Cyrus should be able to handle
100MB mailboxes with out a problem.

Cyrus can also give you mailbox size limits as well.

Tom