Re: What are local deliveries?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Max Caines
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: What are local deliveries?
On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Max Caines wrote:

> OK. Does that mean that the retry rule I quoted applies to all such
> deliveries? That is, after retrying till the cutoff period, all such
> deliveries will get only one attempt.

Ooops. Regret I didn't notice your retry rule. Sorry. I have just been
moved back into my refurbished office and am trying to get unpacked and
sorted out while not letting too much email pile up. That's my excuse,
anyway!

> In fact that's what I have done now. It would still be useful to know what
> to expect afetr a prolonged downtime.

See chapter 29 of the manual, the paragraph starting "Special processing
happens when an address has been failing for so long...". Because this
is a local delivery, a single attempt at delivery will be made; if this
fails, the message is returned to sender. My thinking is that if
delivery to a file or pipe has been failing for 4 days, say, there isn't
much point in keeping on trying.

The next release of Exim has an option that allows you to test retry
rules; you give it an address and it tells you which retry rule that
address would use. Helpful in debugging complicated regular expressions.

Regards,
Philip