immediate repeated retries

Author: Roger Books
To: exim-users
Subject: immediate repeated retries
Everything seems to be working well with my new exim installation
except for one problem. I have a user trying to send mail to
the following address:

satreia%adas@???

Now, this is a bad address, the machine adas doesn't exist and satreia is
a local user, so it should be satreia@???, no big deal
so far, however, when an attempt is made to deliver the message the smtp
server on the other end comes back with: (hand done smtp session follows)

books:tcsh> telnet st-louis-emh7.army.mil smtp
Trying 134.78.20.49...
Connected to EMH7.STL.ARMY.MIL.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 emh7.stl.army.mil Server SMTP (Complaints/bugs to: mmdf@???)
helo mail.state.fl.us
250 emh7.stl.army.mil - you are a charlatan
mail from: books@???
250 OK
rcpt to: satreia%adas@???
451 [ Address family not supported by protocol family ] (BHST) Unknown
host/domain name in "satreia%adas@???"

At this point exim puts the following in the log:

09:47:13 0vkyYm-0002ZG-00 SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:    \
  <SATREIA%ADAS@???>: host EMH7.STL.ARMY.MIL           \
  [134.78.20.49]: 451 [ Address family not supported by protocol family ] \
  (BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "SATREIA%ADAS@???"

Then exim seems to give the same mailing address to the remote machine,
the remote machines returns the same message, and this repeats until I
go in and stop it by hand.

Is this something I have configured incorrectly or is this an actual bug?

Roger