Re: UUCP & Exim problems

Author: John Goerzen
To: Tom Samplonius
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: UUCP & Exim problems
> > Unfortunately, SMTP format is not compatible with UUCP. (I would, of course,
> > allow exim to receive SMTP messages from local mail programs that use SMTP,
> > such as Netscape. But UUCP is used for the actual connection to Internet.)
>
> Wrong. Read RFC 976 in regards to UUCP mail format. Basically, a
> SMTP session is batched and sent over UUCP, to be piped into the remote
> mailer. Batched-SMTP is not used very commonly as a UUCP mail format,
> but it is probably superior to the /bin/rmail method.

That RFC states ``Standard conforming implementations may optionally support a
protocol called "Batch SMTP"''. If my ISP does not support it (and I doubt
they do, but I can check) it is of no use to me, unfortunately...and thus
incompatible with a standard UUCP setup unless special provisions have been
made to allow it.

> > This is the end of Exim's responsibility. The UUCP software takes care of
> > delivering the mail to the remote site ("host" in the above example) and the
> > remote site will take care of sending the mail.
>
> Wrong. exim also needs to be called from /bin/rmail to handle the
> incoming e-mail.

Yes, I realize that. I should have been more explicit. I meant it was the
end of Exim's special responsibility when sending UUCP mail. Incoming UUCP
mail is handled by existing mechanisms, as far as Exim is concerned. (nothing
special need be done to Exim to handle it)

--
John Goerzen          | Running Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    |