Re: Priority of resent- fields

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David.Osborne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Priority of resent- fields
On Wed, 8 Jan 1997 David.Osborne@??? wrote:

> What should exim's behaviour be regarding delivery reports for re-sent
> messages? When my users get a local address wrong, they usually have another
> attempt and re-send the delivery report sent to them by exim.
>
> However, if this Resent-to address is also incorrect, exim sends the resulting
> delivery report not to the Resent-from address but to the From address in the
> re-sent message (i.e., mailer-daemon@???), which comes to me. Is
> there any configuration I can do to correct this, or is exim not doing the
> right thing? I'm running 1.58.

I don't think Exim is in the wrong here.

Exim is not interested in the contents of the headers as far as sending
error messages goes. It sends delivery failure reports to the envelope
sender address (aka return-path), as per the RFCs. It sounds as if
whatever mechanism is being used by your users to resend the messages is
leaving the envelope sender address unchanged. In some sense, this is
right - the message is just being passed on and so its original envelope
sender remains as was.

Personally, I find that resending (in this technical sense) always seems
to cause confusion. Creating a brand-new message (possibly including the
old one as text) is almost always more intelligible to the eventual
recipient.