Re: ampersand in GECOS field

Author: Warner Losh
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Greg A. Woods, Brian Reichert, exim-users
Subject: Re: ampersand in GECOS field
In message <Pine.SOL.3.95.970106101846.25486K-100000@???> Philip Hazel writes:
: (c) Hmm. Why does Exim call it "gecos" rather than "gcos"? Where did I get
: that from, I wonder? I'll check up on that too.

FreeBSD's man page calls it "gecos" as well. As does the OpenBSD man
page.

Warner

P.S. This convention goes back to at least BSD 4.2, since I recall
having one of the few password entries on the system (a VAX 11/750
running BSD 4.2 from Berkeley) w/o a & in it (since my account name
was lush at the time and most accounts were first or last names.