Re: NFS Problem in Kernel 2.0.27: inode status not updated

Author: Piete Brooks
To: Christoph Lameter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: NFS Problem in Kernel 2.0.27: inode status not updated
> With an atomic creat you could reliable locking using a lock file.

NFS is stateless, and atomic create isn't the sort of thing it's good at.

>>> Linux NFS is currently in the revision process
>> Forget it -- not the way to go.
> ????

Use NFS to hold a bag of bits.
Sure, it may be possible to make it junp through hoops, but it's not the best
was to do it ...

>> Yes -- lockd is the way to go.
>> All systems should have it.
> But systems do not have it.

There is only one I know which does not :-(((

> With atomic creat a lockd could be simulated on a user level.

Horses for courses ...

lockd was built *specifically* to do locking.
NFS is meant to hold bags of bits.

It is of little use to have lock file based locking, if the MUAs use the
standard method, i.e. lock.