Re: Exim scanning all local interfaces before sending mail

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Exim scanning all local interfaces before sending mail
On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, John Henders wrote:

> Thanks, I see now. Of course in this case, all the virtual interface
> addresses have MX's pointing to other places, but if it's an RFC
> requirement I won't argue.

Independently of any RFC requirement, it is sensible for an MTA to know
what the local addresses are, so that it can take evasive action if it
finds out that a supposedly "remote" domain ends up pointing at one of
them (via an MX record or A record or even via an IP literal). If it did
not, there could be some embarrassing endless looping...