著者: Philip Hazel
To: Niels Provos
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: no nobody user
On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Niels Provos wrote:

> We are runnin exim-1.59 on AIX 3.2.5 and having some problems on how
> the user nobody is handled on AIX:
> nobody:!:4294967294:4294967294::/:

Oh dear. I had heard there was a problem with "nobody" on AIX, but I
hadn't done anything about it yet because it requires a lot of reworking
of Exim's design and because nobody seemed to be seriously suffering.

The README file in the Exim distribution says

  ******* IMPORTANT FOR AIX USERS ******

  Exim doesn't currently support negative uids or gids, and the AIX "nobody"
  uid is negative, and so cannot be used.

Unfortunately, I have no access to an AIX system. I looked at the man
pages for many systems I do have access to (BSD systems, Solaris, Linux,
and others) and they all say that a uid is a *positive* integer. For
example, on SunOS5 it states

  Real User ID and Real Group ID
     Each user allowed on the system is identified by a  positive
     integer (0 to MAXUID) called a real user ID.

So I assumed that was true for all Unix, and used a negative value to
mean "not set" in the various options that refer to uids.

To remedy this situation requires the allocation of another variable
wherever a uid is stored, in order to provide a set/not-set bit. This is
why it is a fair amount of work. I will see if I can give it some priority.