Re: Curious defaults...

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: hdm
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: Curious defaults...
On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Dom Mitchell wrote:

> Yesterday, I started using MH at home, instead of elm. For this, I
> changed my filter file to pipe the messages into rcvstore, instead of just
> appending to a file. However, looking at the headers, I noticed that
> their were none related to the envelope, like "Return-Path", like there
> usually were.
>
> Closer inspection of the manual, of course revealed the answer that these
> are specifically turned off for pipes, but turned on for appendfile's.
> Does anybody have any idea why this is so? Is it somehow meant to prevent
> messages getting sent out with Return-Path headers?

History. Originally, these headers were never generated. When I added
them, I felt that they should, by default, be generated only when Exim
knew it was making a "final delivery", since that it when such things
are supposed to be added, and to be on the safe side, I assumed "final
delivery" only when actually writing to a file.