Bounced mail problems.

Author: Steve Hicks
To: 'exim-users@lists.cam.ac.uk'
Subject: Bounced mail problems.
Please help!

I am running a joke mailing list consisting of about 700 people,
the problem I am experiencing is that should one of the deliveries
fail, the error message is being sent back to the list.

I will try an explain a little about how I have it all set up, and hopefully
someone will be able to spot where I'm going wrong.

When someone e-mails a joke to joke-list@???, it hits an alias...
> joke-list:              jokelist

jokelist is a valid local user. In jokelist's home directory I have a filter file
(.forward) that looks a little like this...

> # Exim filter
>
> # Filter out any returned error messages.
> if $header_to is "jokelist@???" or
>    $return_path is "jokelist@???" then
>         finish
> endif

> # Check for 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
> if $header_subject: contains "unsubscribe"
> then
>         deliver joke-list-request@???

> # Check for 'subscribe' in the subject line.
> elif $header_subject: contains "subscribe"
> then
>         deliver joke-list-request@???

> # Send to the mailing list.
> else
>         save /other/logs/jokes.log
>         pipe "|/bin/sh /export/home/jokelist/joke-list.proc"
> endif

If anything get's e-mailed directly to jokelist, it get's junked. If anyone
e-mails anything with subscribe or unsubscribe to the list, it gets
redirected to listmaster.

Should all be well, the e-mail get's piped to a shell script that mangles the
header and fires off sendmail to deliver it.

> slush# more joke-list.proc
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/sed -f ~jokelist/joke-list.sed | /usr/sbin/sendmail -fjoke-list-request
> -oi -oeq joke-list-subscribers

> slush# more joke-list.sed
> 1,/^$/ {
>      /^[Rr]eply-[Tt]o:/s/^/X-/
>      /^[Ss]ender:/s/^/X-/
>      /^[Ff]rom:/s/^/X-/
>      /^[Rr]eturn-[Pp]ath:/s/^/X-/
>      /^[Pp]recedence:/d
>      /^[Cc]c:/d
>      /^$/i\
> Sender: joke-list-request@??? \
> From: joke-list-request@??? \
> Comment: This message was sent from the joke-list mailing list.\
> To unsubscribe from the mailing list, please e-mail listmaster@??? \
> with UNSUBSCRIBE as your subject line and your e-mail address as the first \
> line of the message body. \
> To contribute, e-mail your joke to joke-list@???.\
> }

Now, this seems to work absolutly fine, appart from one thing, the Return-Path and Sender headers all point back to jokelist@??? and there is no