Re: Headers

Author: Michelle Dick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Headers
Steve wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Michelle Dick wrote:
>
> > In the same script that adds a Resent-To, you can have it instead
> > remove all Resent- headers so that none are sent. Now that you bring
> > this up, I'll probably do this myself.
>
> I'm not sure that would be a good idea since SmartList uses those Resent
> lines for loop detection.

You mean this?:

* -100^0 ^FROM_MAILER|\
         ^(((Resent-)?(From|Sender)|X-Envelope-From):|>?From )\
          ([^>]*[^(.%@a-z0-9])?(\
           LIST(SERV|proc)|NETSERV|bounce|autoanswer|echo|mirror\
          )(([^).!:a-z0-9][-_a-z0-9]*)?[%@>
][^<)]*(\(.*\).*)?)?$([^>]|$)

Actually, it's checking for the resent headers in order to keep junk
off the mailing list - is it a mis-directed auto-response or error
message? I.e. are there Resent- headers added by some *other*
automatic process? If so, why don't we run this submission by the
maintainer to make sure we really want it to go out. I.e. we don't
want to post bounces or auto-responses to the mailing list. The point
of this isn't really to catch its own stuff (though it does indeed
add a small additional protection against loops).

It's main loop detection is checking for X-Loop (right before the above
test) to see if it is from itself. Another loop detector it does is
keep a message-ID cache and spit out duplicates.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Resent-Sender issue.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@???              East Palo Alto, CA