Re: SPAM aware sites: please proof read this eary draft ...

Author: Piete Brooks
To: Neal Becker
CC: Piete Brooks, exim-users
Subject: Re: SPAM aware sites: please proof read this eary draft ...
> > Stop your users from using false addresses
>
>    To hide what they are doing, SPAMers frequently set the sender address
>    to point at a duff address. For sites using MUAs which submit email
>    over SMTP, you can avoid your users using an address other than a
>    valid address within your domain by restricting permitted sender
>    addresses.

>      sender_address_relay = cl.cam.ac.uk

> Doesn't sender_verify cover this?

I'm new to all this stuff, but ph10 has been looking over my shoulder ...

"sender_verify" means "check that the sender address supplied is *A* valid
address (so that any bounce messages can be sent OK)".

"sender_address_relay = cl.cam.ac.uk" ensures that outgoing mail has to have a
sender address of the form $user@???, thereby stopping *MY* users
from
sending email with a sender address of neal@???, which would
otherwise be permitted.