Delivering using gid (was Local delivery problems on FreeBSD…

Author: Philip Crewdson
To: exim-users
Subject: Delivering using gid (was Local delivery problems on FreeBSD)
OK...

As a result of the various postings on the list, I have decided that what I
would *like* to do is have exim deliver as user 'exim' group 'mail', to
user mailboxes set 660 with 'mail' as the group id, eg:

-rw-rw----  1 philip  mail      0 Dec  2 13:05 philip

(Any mailboxes created subsequently with 'exim' as the user can be spotted
and reassigned -my system isn't that big.)

So I've set it up to work like this. And sure enough exim creates new
mailboxes as user 'exim' group 'mail'. But it won't append to existing
mailboxes, saying they have the 'wrong uid or gid'. Meanwhile I can edit
the files with vi quite happily as user 'exim' (member of group 'mail').

Any thoughts, or shall I drop this idea?

Philip

Philip Crewdson

philip@???

a member of the state51 conspiracy