Re: Local delivery problems on FreeBSD

Author: Kuyper Hoffman
To: Chris Thompson
CC: jhenders, exim-users
Subject: Re: Local delivery problems on FreeBSD
> John Henders writes:
> >
> > Better still to deliver the mail to the user's home directory and avoid
> > _all_ the problems of a common mail spool. Ever done an ls -l on
> > /var/spool/mail with 10000 user mailboxes in it? How many coffees did you
> > brew while you waited for it to complete.

> The efficiency of access to single files in very large directories tends
> to be getting better in modern systems. Both Solaris 2 and the Network
> Appliance fileserver seem to have coped OK with our 6000+ entry /var/mail
> on cus.cam.ac.uk.

Agreed, we're doing OK with 25895 entries! so it seems to scale
well. We've just undergone a large merge of mailboxes around the
country onto a single server -- so far all seems well.

We had to do a large batched SMTP deliveries yesterday, and with
>95% of mailboxes now on a local machine it was a breeze....

Cheers
Kuyper
--
/          Kuyper Hoffman        / Vox:+27 (0) 21.689.6242  O/H GMT+0200   /
\    mailto:Kuyper@iAfrica.Com   \ Cel:+27 (0) 83.444.1024  24hr Cell      \