著者: Warner Losh
To: tron
CC: Piete.Brooks, exim-users, woods
題目: Re: split the load?
In message <m0vQjKv-000iXzC@???> tron@??? writes:
: Don't DNS implementations have the option of ordering MX and A record
: returns based on a sorting criteria such as network preference? I
: recall that Bind 4.8 had such a feature, and I presume that 4.9 still
: has the feature. Randomizing in the MTA would defeat that, and it is
: probably difficult for the MTA to know whether such an ordering was
: used or not.

As far as I know, that option is for the A records only. And besides,
if you want a certain MX host to have a higher precidence, it is
trivially easy to reduce that hosts preference value in that MX
record.

I've seen implementations do this. However, I've also seen this fail
to do the right thing. Since that is a global setting, you can get
one order if you as a primary server, and another order if you ask a
secondary server. I've seen this happen over and over with the
domains that we've managed over the years. DNS does not guarantee
ordering of information.

Warner