Exim pipe errors and db files under bsdi

Author: Chip Ach
To: exim-users
Subject: Exim pipe errors and db files under bsdi
I have all of my mail being delivered with a director that is:

virtual:
driver = smartuser,
transport = virtual_pipe,
domains = lsearch;/etc/mail/domains

and a transport....

virtual_pipe:
driver = pipe;
command = "/etc/mail/local ${local_part}@${domain}",
user = daemon

/etc/mail/local does some really fun delivery stuff. It's a perl
script which can die like: "die "No such user '$userid' on this
system" (where $userid was set based on the args to the script).
Under sendmail, what happens is that the mail is bounced and the
message within the die goes into the bounce of the message like:

No such user 'junk@???' on this system
554 <junk@???>... unknown mailer error 2

However, with exim, I get:

  test@???:
    Child process of virtual_pipe transport returned 13 for command /etc/mail/local
${local_part}@${domain}

I would like the die message to appear in the bounce. Any ideas how?

Question #2...

Is anyone using BSDI's db's with exim? They are silly .db type files
(not .dir and .pag) and I want to use the keys as the domain list but
it doesn't seem to find anything. I've had problems with BSDI's db's
before, so I'm wondering if anyone has gotten them to work with exim.

Thanks,

Chip