Re: delayed Batched SMTP Mail

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kuyper Hoffman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: delayed Batched SMTP Mail
> In a few of the batches I have obviously hit the server at a busy
> time and the messages have not been delivered immediately:

What configuration options have you got set for not delivering at busy
times? If any?

> However, upon trying to discover why 0vNcv6-0001V8-03 has not been
> delivered:
> -rw-------   1 root     other          0 Nov 13 12:51 /var/spool/exim/msglog/0vNcv6-0001V8-03

It doesn't create a msglog file until it is starting to do a delivery;
thereafter it should write *something* to it. An empty message log is a
bit worrying... Have you got any core dumps lurking?

> The retry times for all local domains are:
> *.iafrica.com          *           F,5m,30s; F,4h,5m; G,16h,30m,1.5; F,10d,8h

Aha! For local domains you should have a local-part in the retry
information. You need to have

*@*.iafrica.com          *           F,5m,30s; F,4h,5m; G,16h,30m,1.5; F,10d,8h

Hmm. I'd better check that that second "*" is OK, but I'm afraid I've
got to go to lunch now; then there's a meeting, then I have to pack up
my office to move it tomorrow. I'll try to get get back to you asap.

Philip