Re: Minor problems...

Author: John Henders
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Minor problems...
On Nov 8, ph10@??? (Philip Hazel) wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > 1. 50% of our users have no home directories - they only have access for
> >    pop.  OK, so we can fix up the forwardfile director to work (although
> >    that needs some looking through docs - we have no NFS so that isn't
> >    a problem for us).

[snip]

> If you use the aliasfile director, then you can use its "directory"
> option to specify the "home" directory. The manual says this is true for
> the pipe transport, but in fact it is true for all local transports.
> I'll fix the manual.

This is very useful for virtual domains as well, but I'm not clear on
how I can take advantage of it. The virtual domain driver setup I
have now, using the configuration shown below, I have a seperate alias
database for each domain which is found via the file expansion. If an
address in the aliases file is aliased to a file path on my system then
the mail is delivered there. An example would be if the domain was
foobar.com and the username was fred. An entry in the
/etc/exim/foobar.com/aliases file for fred would be

fred: /var/spool/vpop/foobar.com/mail/fred

However, it would be much more useful if I could add a directory line to
the virtual driver below that looked like this.

directory = /var/spool/vpop/$domain/mail

and set the alias to something that told exim to treat this as a
candidate for delivery to that directory. Local as a keyword might be on
approach. i.e.

fred:    local

Or maybe just a repeat of the username or a blank on the right hand
side.

The end result of all this is that you can supply a complete virtual
mail environment, where the users for that domain don't have accounts on
the machine in question, and with a slightly rewritten pop daemon, a
user on this pseudo domain can point their pop client at the machine
pop.foobar.com and retreive their mail.

And, once you have this, there's no reason you can't treat your own
domain as just another virtual domain.

Is there a way to do this currently with the directory option?

My current virtual driver.

virtual:
        domains = dbm;/etc/exim/domains,
        driver = aliasfile,
        no_more;
        modemask = 002
        file = /etc/exim/$domain/aliases,
        search_type = lsearch,
        user = mail

--
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.