Re: forwarded message from Alan McConnell

Author: Nick Waterman
To: Nigel Metheringham
Subject: Re: forwarded message from Alan McConnell
Nigel Metheringham allegedly said:
> I don't think there is a technical solution to this at present. End to
> end signatures will help. People applying baseball bats or legal writs to
> the perpetrators does have a reasonable effect. I am wondering about the
> legality of publishing the home address and phone number of spammers -
> 10000 annoyed people phoning them up at night might have an effect!

There was a post in alt.humour.best-of-usenet recently, which had
originated in one of the suicidal/psychotic-type groups. Someone had
started the thread by suggesting that before you commit suicide you
should go on a rampage. This evolved into "kill bill gates whilst you're
at it", and similar, and then the final post, the one that ended up in
a.h.b-o-u, was someone suggesting that you should make it your mission
to kill as many of those "$$$ Make money fast $$$" posters as possible,
and get as much news coverage as possible. That ought to do the
trick. Shouldn't be too hard because they usually add their own
addresses to the lists they're publishing, and they don't all use PO
boxes.

Nick Waterman, Network Manager, Cimio Ltd.              nick@???
http://www.cimio.co.uk/~nick/   Team AMIGA!   #include <stddisclaimer.h>
              Your computer is dead, and it was so alive.
                You shouldn't have installed... Win'95.