Pseduo-anonymous remailer with exim???

Author: Warner Losh
To: exim-users
Subject: Pseduo-anonymous remailer with exim???
A friend and I would like to use exim as a sort of anonymous remailer.
We have a machine that we'd like to act as a mail hub for the local
SCA. As you may know, the people in the SCA have their mondane names,
and their SCA names. We want to translate people's mondane
names/addresses into their SCA names so that we can continue to be in
the spirit of the SCA while we're online. Our group generally
everyone's SCA name, but less often knows each other's mondane names.
We also envision this as a stable adress for people.

Ideally, we'd like to have almost no accounts on this machine, so we
can't use the /etc/passwd features of exim without introducing
potential security problems. The machine that handles this must also
do duty as a router.

The problem that we're having is a minor one in the rewriting of
headers. If the mail is from someone we know about, (say
wendy@???), we'd like to rewrite it such that it appears to
come form this machine, with that person's SCA name (eg Fiona di
Puccini <fiona@???>). exim's rewriting rules do this
half way, as far as we can tell. We can get the wendy@??? ->
fiona@??? to happen easily enoougn. However, Wendy's
name seems to be sticky.