著者: Neal Becker
To: exim-users
題目: ["Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>] Re: fetchmail-1.8 failure
I am forwarding this message. I have just tried fetchmail-1.8 with
exim-0.56. fetchmail is a package to grab your mail via pop, imap,
whatever and feed it to your local smtp. It didn't work because exim
insists that recipient address must contain a domain. Any opinions?

> 1st test of fetchmail-1.8. It built easily on hpux9.05. My sendmail
> is exim-0.56, which is sort of the successor to smail (not released
> yet).
>
> Here's what happened:

> SMTP< 250 <help@???> is syntactically correct
> SMTP> RCPT TO:<nbecker>
> SMTP< 501 <nbecker>: recipient address must contain a domain
> SMTP> RSET
> SMTP< 250 Reset OK
> SMTP> DATA
> SMTP< 503 MAIL FROM command must precede DATA
> SMTP> RSET
> SMTP< 250 Reset OK
> SMTP> #**********************************************************SMTP> (EOM)
> SMTP< 500 Command unrecognized

OK, what we have here is a combination of one bug and one misfeature.

The misfeature is that your exim thingy is even more anal than the
notoriously picky qmail :-) and demands a full @-address with domain
where other sendmails are content with a local name.

The bug is that one of the pieces of bailout code in fetchmail's
message reader wasn't testing strictly enough. The protocol-error
abort should have happened sooner -- and will, now.

I'll put you on the 1.9 distribution list.  It should come out within
days.