著者: tron
To: proberts, r.black
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: ouch
>> Hmm, how about... if a site doesn't understand lowercase helo try it in
>> uppercase and if that works wrap the mail in a MIME warning message about the
>> receiving mailer not being RFC-821 compliant... tempting, very tempting :-)
>
>If it's broken so that it doesn't understand 'helo', you're going to tax
>it with MIME? Hell with that, UUencode exim and mail it to postmaster :)

Since every other mail that I know of generates upper case HELO, and
only exim (as far as I know) generates mixed case, I suggest that it
is both expedient and more robust for exim to generate upper case HELO.
The basic principal (which is being violated here) is that a robust
program should be liberal in what it accepts and conservative in what
it generates. In other words, obstinate purity is NOT robust.

The arguments Phil is making about variations in possible case matchings
are basically just silliness that make no sense given the reality of
what is running out there (and working) right now.
--
    Ronald S. Karr
    tron |-<=>-|    tron@???