Re: ouch

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Martin Cooper
CC: Martin Hamilton, exim-users
Subject: Re: ouch
} Hmm, I have wondered for a bit why Smail (presumably Exim does it
} because it's based loosely on Smail) refers to SMTP as smtp in
} "Received:" headers since it's an acronym,

why not - they aren't really intended to be essays of english style!

} and why it uses those
} rather odd style message-ids that look like gibberish.

A message ID is gibberish!
Smail's message IDs are also used as queue file names, so needed to be a
maximum of 14 characters long (old System V portability). They have to be
unique, so they are built of a timestamp and a inode number (of the queue
file) which is pretty much uinque. These 2 numbers are base 63 encoded,
joined by a hyphen and have a priority character appended. It all makes
perfect sense really!
Exim extends this by adding a pid.

BTW this is all from memory so I may be slightly out in places!

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]