Re: Load average

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: liaison
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Load average
On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, liaison wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread so please let me know if this issue has
> already been discussed...

I've only just started the thread!

> As I am in a "client <-> cluster <-> hub(s)" situation, what I really want to
> happen when the load average goes over a certain limit is for the smtp server
> to accept new mail from local clients (and queue it) but not accept mail from
> the hubs - and perhaps not even attempt to deliver mail it has queued, until
> the load is reduced.

It looks like the required feature is a list of escalating load average
thresholds to allow the following modes:

(1)  accept from anywhere (subject to the limits on numbers of SMTP
     calls), and do immediate deliveries.

(2)  accept from some restricted list of hosts/networks and deliver
     it; accept and queue mail from elsewhere.

(3) accept from anywhere, but just queue the mail.

(4)  accept only from restricted list, deliver it; do not accept from
     elsewhere

(5)  accept only from restricted list, queue it; do not accept from
     elsewhere

(6) do not accept from anywhere

together with a separate threshold above which no deliveries at all are
ever attempted, i.e. queue runners don't do anything (7).

This looks like far too complicated a scheme to me. What does the list
think? How about having just states (1), (3), (5), and the (7) option?