著者: Philip Hazel
To: David Blacka
CC: Neal Becker, exim-users
題目: Re: retry
On 11 Sep 1996, David Blacka wrote:

> Neal> If I try to send mail to a domain which has 2 MX records, and the
> Neal> lower numbered MX returns "connection refused", should the 2nd MX be
> Neal> tried? I'm not sure if this is what is happening.
>
> Yes. This is the point of MX records. In fact, here at the internic,
> the mail scheme is set up so the lower MX value *always* gets a
> "connection refused", so if this scheme didn't work, I would never get
> any mail :-)

I think I'd be hearing loud screams from many Exim users if it were not
trying alternative MX records. :-)

David: It seems a bit strange to cause every mailer in the world that
mails you to try a connection that is always going to fail. There will
be some waste of machine time and net resources. Is it really the only
way? At least "connection refused" happens quickly; we recently had to
persuade someone that doing something similar that would give
"connection timed" out was DEFINITELY a bad idea, as it would delay all
sending mailers substantially.

Fortunately, any Exims that mail you will rapidly learn that your lower
MX is dead and will soon be trying it only once every eight hours (with
the standard configuration file).