Re: exim's OS/Makefile-Linux

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ian Jackson
Cc: Tim Cutts, exim-users
Asunto: Re: exim's OS/Makefile-Linux
[copied to the list for anyone else who cares to comment]

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think this should have the following settings:
> CONFIGURE_FILE=/etc/exim.conf
> BIN_DIRECTORY=/usr/local/sbin

Those look like rather personal preferences to me, rather than something
"standard" for Linux, so I am not convinced they should be in the system
configuration file.

> It would be better to be able to put some of the more useful-to-users
> commands in /usr/local/bin, but I'm not sure offhand which ones those
> are.

It rather depends on the level of sophistication of the users. I'm not
at all sure which ones, if any, come into this category, for run-of-the-
mill users. Would it not be better, in any case, to keep all the exim
stuff together and put symbolic links into /usr/local/sbin if that was
what you wanted?

> Also, ITYSBT that _'s are very unusual in Unix command names;
> -'s are more usual. Perhaps the exim_*db* commands should be renamed.

I believe it is far too late for that now.

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think also:
> COMPRESS_COMMAND=/usr/bin/gzip

Is this the standard place where gzip lives on all Linux systems? I'm
loath to make a change if it is not.

> SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim

Sigh. I had /var/spool/exim as the basic default once upon a time.
Someone persuaded me to change it to /usr/exim/spool. As this is an
administrator's decision rather than something basic to the OS, I do not
think it should be in the Linux Makefile.