Re: several messages

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ian Jackson
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: several messages
Philip Hazel writes ("Re: several messages"):
> On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, m.hampson wrote:

> > > user@[155.198....]
> >
> > Oh bugger, and it was looking so good. We can probably work around the
> > bracket thing but we will always have to support @[] from the Internet.
>
> Sigh. I suppose I might have to do something about this one as well. We
> have never supported this form of addressing, not for the last 5 years,
> and nobody has yet complained! I suppose Exim ought to have the ability
> to do it, crazy though it is in today's Internet.

Well, it's not true that nobody has yet complained - I have. Perhaps
you don't remember it :-).

Furthermore, I have the RFCs to back me up; see below.

I have had cause to use this style of addressing when trying to get
through to systems when the DNS in their neighbourhood was very
broken, and in certain other abnormal cases.

I agree that users should be strongly discouraged from using this
form, but supporting it is an absolute must, and the authors of
RFC1123 `Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Application and Support'
agree with me on this point.

No mailer is ready for use in a production context unless it complies
with the MUSTs in 1123, and this is one of them.

Ian.

RFC 1123:
   2.1  Host Names and Numbers
      Whenever a user inputs the identity of an Internet host, it SHOULD
      be possible to enter either (1) a host domain name or (2) an IP
      address in dotted-decimal ("#.#.#.#") form.  The host SHOULD check
      the string syntactically for a dotted-decimal number before
      looking it up in the Domain Name System.

      DISCUSSION:
           This last requirement is not intended to specify the complete
           syntactic form for entering a dotted-decimal host number;
           that is considered to be a user-interface issue.  For
           example, a dotted-decimal number must be enclosed within
           "[ ]" brackets for SMTP mail (see Section 5.2.17).  This
           notation could be made universal within a host system,
           simplifying the syntactic checking for a dotted-decimal
           number.

           If a dotted-decimal number can be entered without such
           identifying delimiters, then a full syntactic check must be
           made, because a segment of a host domain name is now allowed
           to begin with a digit and could legally be entirely numeric
           (see Section 6.1.2.4).  However, a valid host name can never
           have the dotted-decimal form #.#.#.#, since at least the
           highest-level component label will be alphabetic.

      5.2.17  Domain Literals: RFC-822 Section 6.2.3

         A mailer MUST be able to accept and parse an Internet domain
         literal whose content ("dtext"; see RFC-822) is a dotted-
         decimal host address.  This satisfies the requirement of
         Section 2.1 for the case of mail.

         An SMTP MUST accept and recognize a domain literal for any of
         its own IP addresses.

RFC822:
     3.4.6.  BRACKETING CHARACTERS
            o   Square brackets ("[" and "]") are used to indicate the
                presence  of  a  domain-literal, which the appropriate
                name-domain  is  to  use  directly,  bypassing  normal
                name-resolution mechanisms.
     6.2.3.  DOMAIN TERMS

        A domain-ref must be THE official name of a registry, network,
        or  host.   It  is  a  symbolic  reference, within a name sub-
        domain.  At times, it is necessary to bypass standard  mechan-
        isms  for  resolving  such  references,  using  more primitive
        information, such as a network host address  rather  than  its
        associated host name.

        To permit such references, this standard provides the  domain-
        literal  construct.   Its contents must conform with the needs
        of the sub-domain in which it is interpreted.

        Domain-literals which refer to domains within the ARPA  Inter-
        net  specify  32-bit  Internet addresses, in four 8-bit fields
        noted in decimal, as described in Request for  Comments  #820,
        "Assigned Numbers."  For example:

                                 [10.0.3.19]

        Note:  THE USE OF DOMAIN-LITERALS IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.  It
               is  permitted  only  as  a means of bypassing temporary
               system limitations, such as name tables which  are  not
               complete.

        The names of "top-level" domains, and  the  names  of  domains
        under  in  the  ARPA Internet, are registered with the Network
        Information Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, California.

--
Ian Jackson   ijackson@???        These opinions are my own.
Cambridge University Computer Laboratory, New Museums Site. + 44 1223 3 34676