著者: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: Texinfo, anyone?
> It can produce very nice printed results, and can give a nice
> browsable version using the emacs browser or the standalone info
> reader.

I was thinking of it for the browser, since PostScript is already
distributed for printing.

> I would be in favour of distribution docs being in texinfo form with
> a separate postscript (and html?) docs distribution.

I also like the plain ASCII with chapter/section numbers and change
bars, which is why I distribute it, but if nobody else wants it...

> Simple conversion can give good results. If internal hyperlinks can
> be created as, when and if you have time that would make things even
> nicer (unless your converter is better than I give you credit for in
> which case most of the xrefs could be done in one shot).

The hyperlinks at the moment are between chapters and sections and
configuration options (each config option in a separate node). Existing
cross-references are preserved, but by section name rather than number
(since Texinfo doesn't number sections).

> Has anyone got texinfo tweaks to use postscript native fonts rather
> than tex basic ones?

I don't use Tex myself. I do want to continue to distribute PostScript
which uses native fonts.

I have put a copy of the current experiment in

ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/exim/experimental.spec.texinfo.gz

so that anyone who feels moved to take a look and comment can do so.