Linux file locking problems - a new variation on the old pro…

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Neal Becker
To: John Henders
CC: exim-users
題目: Linux file locking problems - a new variation on the old problem

    John> I tried to compile .43 this weekend and ran into a the file locking
    John> problems Neal was having previously, but now there's a new twist.
    John> flock() under linux was formerly being done with emulation using
    John> fcntl(). This has now been changed, and, just to add some excitement,
    John> it's been decided that mixed locks will henceforth be a no no. I've
    John> appended the explanation from the kernel documentation directory below.

    John> This poses a bit of a problem with exim, because from what I can tell,
    John> the recommended standard we are being advised to use with Linux is
    John> flock(), and exim uses fcntl. This means either we (linux exim users)
    John> will need to change libgdbm to fcntl and make sure all programs we use
    John> use fcntl, or exim will have to have optional flock() locking on Linux.

It is unfortunate that someone is pushing flock on linux. I have
already discussed preferring fcntl with the maintainers of libgdbm. I
have also discussed this with the Debian maintainers who tell me that
Debian is *already using fcntl for libgdbm*. I guess right now we'll
have to leave the option open.